Tuesday 1 July 2014

A Cure for IBS?


A cure for IBS? Wouldn't that be nice? No more pain or bloating. No more planning your day around visits to the loo. No more uncomfortable nights' sleep. No more days missed off work or college. No more feeling lousy. Is it possible? I'm beginning to think so.

A few months ago I realised I'd had trouble with IBS for the best part of 20 years and quite frankly, I'd had enough! I decided it was time to get to get to grips with it once and for all. So I started another food diary and kept note of everything that passed my lips.

I'm guessing if you're reading this, you'll know what I mean when I say that it seemed like everything I ate made me ill? I instinctively felt it was food that was making me feel so awful but I was eating a healthy vegetarian diet so where was I going wrong? Determined to find a solution I scoured the net - and then I discovered FODMAPs. I also discovered that a large part of what I was eating was making it worse.

But the good news is that after just a couple of months on the low-FODMAP diet I can honestly say I feel better than I have in years. And, even though it IS a very restricted diet, I'm probably eating even healthier than before.

It's early days for me still, and I have to be honest, a low-FODMAP diet isn't really a cure but  sometimes it really does feel that way. I'm sure there will still be difficult days but I feel I am finally beginning to understand what and why certain foods cause me trouble. I know that there is more to beating IBS than FODMAPs but managing what I eat around a low-FODMAP diet has been a big step in the right direction. And now I am determined to discover what else could help.

So, if you have IBS or other digestive problems, and especially if you're a vegetarian or vegan, then this blog is for you. (A low-FODMAP diet is a bit harder for us veggies but it IS do-able.) I shall be adding lots of info on FODMAPs as well as other tips for digestive health, plus yummy veggie recipes so you can look forward to enjoying food again. I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment